Hello parents and grandparents! Welcome to the Orion 10015 StarBlast 4.5 Astro Reflector Telescope review; the #1 choice on my list of top rated telescopes. This instrument not only performs well, but is also mobile enough to take anywhere.
If you have never visited my site, then you should know that I have a son; and for all of you parents and grandparents out there who are continuously challenged as I am, we do what we can to accommodate for our sons and grandsons development and enjoyment. You should also know that I never review a product that I would not purchase myself on behalf of my son. I have read the reviews from customers who have used this product so that I may better help you to make the right decision.
Let’s see what this instrument can do!
Some of the features:
- This reflector telescope is designed for entry/ intermediate level enthusiasts who are looking to observe and explore the heavens above us; and is designed for convenience as it is compact so your son or grandson will be able to take it anywhere.
- The 4.5 inch aperture with f/4 focal ratio allows for the user to see nicely lighted detailed views of the moon, planets, and other heavenly objects to include star clusters and nebula.
The Good: Performance
The Bad: Adequate eyepieces
My overall take:
This portable telescope is the perfect instrument for first-time astronomers and amateurs to view the heavens, and your son or grandson will get the thrill of a lifetime as they check out distant planets, stars, galaxies, and nebula.
Dimensions: 23.5 x 18.5 x 25 inches
Weight: 13 lbs.
- Additionally, this instrument is pre-assembled with collimation correctly set and is ready to use the moment it arrives; and uses low-thermal expansion borosilicate glass material which allows it to resist extreme temperature changes.
- The base is extremely stable which will allow your son or grandson to easily locate those celestial bodies manually with smooth altazimuth motion.
Let’s see what comes in the box:
This instrument also comes equipped the following items as well:
- EZ Finder II reflex sight (battery powered red dot finder)
- (2 ea.) Explorer II 1.25 inch Kellner telescope eyepieces (17mm and 6mm)
- Collimation cap
- eyepiece rack
- Starry Night software
Out of the box, your son or grandson will quickly be able to check out some really cool things like our moon, additionally, expect to see Saturn along with its rings. But lets’ not stop there, Jupiter along with its rings and four Galilean moons are also clearly visible. What would you like to check out?
This telescope is designed to deliver performance through nice optics, and value; and will enable your son or grandson to really check out the stars and everything around, while simultaneously giving both parents and grandparents tremendous value. The fact that this instrument is relatively small gives it nice versatility so your son or grandson will be able to take it with them – anywhere; as it is quite mobile.
The fact that this product has such a high rating makes it challenging to find consistent negative feedback, however some customers mentioned the eyepieces are only adequate, and using better quality ones would provide better images; especially for the planets. Also, acquiring and using various filters would nicely enhance the telescopes capabilities and user experience.
Things to know / Tips:
- If you are intending on checking out the heavens for the first time and are unfamiliar with using a telescope - do not expect to see them through a home telescope as they are seen on TV or through Hubble images; seeing the heavens directly from a personal telescope is a “live” viewing experience which differentiates it from the previous; but there is something to be said that makes it an exciting experience.
- Regarding the placement of the battery into the EZ Finder II, the instruction manual can be a bit confusing so when placing the battery into the EZ Finder II, make sure the positive end (+) is facing the retaining clip; the positive end/ terminal should be facing the telescope.
- California residents – please click here for Proposition 65 warning: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=dp_prop65_warn?ie=UTF8&nodeId=3234041
- Use caution when carrying the telescope as the lenses in the holder are not tightly held in place and can easily fall out.
- Although this instrument will allow your son or grandson to view the heavens and provide cool images, in the future, you may want to look at an additional accessory kit with various eyepieces, lenses and filters to really take full advantage of this telescopes capabilities; and go from cool to spectacular; as this telescope allows you to expand. If you are thinking that viewing the heavens during the day would be cool, acquiring a solar filter will do the trick. Additionally, using various filters such as oxygen or light pollution may intensify the viewing pleasure when exploring nebula; while we’re on the subject, a moon filter would also be cool and reduce glare.
- The size of this telescope requires it to be placed on a stand or table, possibly accompanied by a chair so that you are quite comfortable while star gazing. However, if your son or grandson is younger, you may want to just lay a mat/ blanket on the ground.
- FYI - because this is a reflecting scope, keep in mind that everything you see is actually upside down.
- FYI – subscribing to Sky & Telescope or even Astronomy Magazine will keep you informed with things regarding news, night sky events, astronomy equipment, and various eyepiece topics.
- For those of you who wear glasses - the instruction manual provides some nice helpful tips to get the most out of your experience.
- Nice optics
- Adequate eyepieces
- Lack of filters
I would just like to reiterate that this portable telescope is perfect for first-time astronomers and amateurs, as it is a grab and go instrument capable of viewing our universe while simultaneously putting a smile on your son's or grandson's face as they gaze upon galaxies, planets, nebula, and stars.
Check out all the reviews and videos on Amazon yourself, so you can see what these customers are so excited about.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read my Orion 10015 StarBlast 4.5 Astro Reflector Telescope review, and I look forward to helping you out again and again in the future.