Hello parents and grandparents! Welcome to my iBUYPOWER Gaming PC Desktop i7-8700K review. This PC gaming console has it all with respect to performance, reliability, and speed; making it a work horse, and one of my top rated gaming PCs.
If you have never visited my site, then you should know that I have a son; and for all of you parents and grandparents out there who are continuously challenged as I am, we do what we can to accommodate for our sons and grandsons development and enjoyment. You should also know that I never review a product that I would not purchase myself on behalf of my son. I have read the reviews from customers who have used this product so that I may better help you to make the right decision.
Before getting started, I would just like to say that this PC gaming console is built from the ground up for playing and having fun. Although it is a gamer's PC, it could very easily be used for any other purpose as well. Let’s take a look…
Some of the features:
- This gaming PC will excite your son or grandson to say the least because it is VR Ready and supports the HTC VIVE with Steam VR, or the Oculus Rift VR and delivers hassle-free fun through its performance. Also, these systems are fully compatible with either, the Intel or AMD processors; in addition to the Nvidia or Radeon video cards, so your son or grandson will easily surpass the recommended FPS for an extraordinary gaming experience.
- This system contains the 8th Generation Intel Core i7 processor which from a gaming perspectives simply means that your son or grandson will get about 25% more FPS on high-demand games versus the older 7th Generation processors; so they will experience smooth vivid graphics on an unimaginable level.
The Good: Performance & speed
The Bad: RGB remote not working/ dead batteries
My overall take: This PC gaming console is designed to please as it packs speed, performance, and reliability all in one place - this tower! Your son or grandson would be ecstatic to sit at the controls playing (1080p w/ 60 FPS) the most demanding and popular games currently out there, like Overwatch, and League of Legends to name a few…
Let’s get started with the technical data…
What’s in the Tower:
- Intel Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz Max Turbo)
- 16GB DDR4 Ram
- 240GB SSD
- 1TB HDD
- Genuine Windows 10 Home 64-bit
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB Dedicated Gaming Video Card
- VR Ready
- 1 ea. HDMI
- 1 ea. DisplayPort
- 1 ea. DVI
- 4 ea. USB 3.1
- 2 ea. USB 2.0
- 1 ea. RJ-45 Network Ethernet 10/100/1000
- 1 ea. 802.11AC Wi-Fi
- 1 Channel
- Liquid Cooling
- Tempered Side Glass Panels
- 16 Color RGB Lighting Remote Controlled Case
What comes with the Tower:
- iBuyPower Gaming Keyboard & Mouse
- Warranty: 1 Year Parts & Labor + Free Lifetime Tech Support | Assembled in the U.S.A
Hard Drive Interface: Serial ATA
Hard Drive: 1 TB Mechanical Hard DriveHard Drive Rotational
Hard Drive Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM
Item Weight: 30 pounds
Item Dimensions L x W x H: 25 x 12.5 x 21. 4 inches
Computer Memory Type: DDDR SDRAM
Flash Memory Size: 240.0
Power supply: 500 watts power supply
The dedicated Geforce GTX 1070 Ti with 8GB Ram series graphics card will without a doubt have your son or grandson smiling from ear to ear as this feature creates the ultimate gaming platform built upon state-of-the-art GPU architecture. Once they get rolling in some of their favorite games; the unbelievable speed, along with NVIDIA Pascal’s power will immerse them in their perfect gaming world.
The iBUYPOWER gaming keyboard and mouse are built for gamers with 101 buttons and 8 specialty function keys. The red keys are WASD (these keys are use in place of the arrow keys to allow a gamer the ability to use more of the keys around them; which they can assign to do various gaming tasks) keys for quick easy reference. The iBP gaming mouse provides up to 3200 DPI through its advanced gaming optical sensor.
Windows 10 is an upgrade as well because it is designed more so with the gamer in mind as it delivers smooth gameplay through its quicker processing and enhanced gaming experiences.
This gaming PC also comes equipped with a removable magnetic dust filter for convenience.
This beast of a machine can perform very well on any level, however it has been designed and optimized with gaming in mind; it’s CPU and GPU provides faster speed and performance for the ultimate gaming experience. It also supports two platforms of VR; HTC VIVE with Steam VR and Oculus Rift VR. It boots up extremely fast, and does not come loaded with bloatware. Noise is not a problem as this machine runs very quietly. Finally, the RGB lighting looks really cool.
iBUYPOWER has been featured on IGN as “Best PC Gaming Gear CES 2018.” They are also known for what they bring to esports and PC gaming; innovative gaming desktops that perform, and this particular machine features the first mass-produced LCD-side panel.
The keyboard that comes with this PC is not wireless and is adequate, but could be better. Additionally, this PC does not come equipped with a CD drive, Bluetooth, or sound; and although there is an installed wifi adaptor, some customers seem to be having some issues accessing the wifi. The power supply that is used is not best of quality. Also, some customers stated that you may get a transparent tinted plastic side panel as opposed to the tinted tempered glass listed in the description. The majority of all the bad things are things most of the customers were willing to live with and if you look at all the quality components that are used, you can understand that some corners had to be cut in certain areas to keep it affordable and appealing to consumers.
2 factors for a good gaming experience:
- The first factor is to have a PC gaming console that can deliver about 50 to 60 FPS (Frames Per Second), typically 60 FPS is optimal for playing PC games. If your FPS is low, expect your gaming experience to be slow and laggy; thus the higher the FPS, the “smoother” and more enjoyable your gameplay will be. Imagine running most games at 1080p at high to ultra-high settings with 60FPS+ without any issues; most of the modern-day games currently available on the market today. With regards to having a good gaming experience, it cannot be stressed enough when talking about the importance of FPS, so for all of you parents or grandparents that are considering getting a gaming PC for your son or grandson, please keep this in mind.
- If you are playing online, the other important factor is to have good internet speed; which should be at least 12 Mbps, but 20 Mbps is better; and a ping rate of 100-150 ms would work, but a 20 ms or below would be ideal. Check your speed: (http://www.speedtest.net/). In conclusion, a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, so if “both” the PC gaming console and internet connection are solid – your son or grandson will have a wonderful and exciting online gaming experience.
Things to know / Tips:
- This PC also comes equipped with a SSD (Solid State Drive) which is so much faster than a HDD (Hard Drive Disk), because there are no moving parts; which translates to a major upgrade! Once you make the jump from HDD to SSD and see the difference, you will never go back! There is also room to add more SSD or HDD.
- The Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB is the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) for this system can run 4 separate monitors: 1 HDMI to HDMI and 3 DisplayPorts to HDMI.
- This PC does not come equipped with a CD drive; or sound, so you will need an external source such as speakers, monitor, TV; or you can simply plug in a pair of headsets.
- Additionally, this PC doesn’t have Bluetooth either, however you can get a Bluetooth 4.0+ USB receiver which is very small and plugs into a USB slot for about $8-$15.
- The RGB remote needs to be pointed directly at the IR sensor in order to work and adjust the lights; and may be located under the GPU.
- The power supply that is installed in the gaming PC is adequate, however, over time or if you intend to add additional components you should probably consider replacing it with something better.
- Yes, this PC does support both the HTC VIVE with Steam VR and the Oculus Rift VR, however you would need to purchase one of these items separately to enjoy the VR feature.
- Customers thinking about building their own gaming PC stated that after pricing the components, even without thinking about the labor or time needed for researching the items, said they could not build one this inexpensively.
- Speed & performance
- Supports VR
- No bloatware
- Runs quietly
- RGB lighting looks cool
- RGB Remote not working/ dead batteries
- Adequate keyboard
- No Bluetooth
- Wifi issues
- Low-quality power supply
- Tinted glass side panel?
My Overall Take:
I must reiterate that the iBUYPOWER Gaming PC Desktop i7-8700K qualifies as one of my top rated gaming PCs because it is built from the ground up with gaming in mind. Although this PC gaming console is a gamers delight, your son or grandson could very easily use this for any other purpose as well because it performs...
Please, don't just take my word for it; click the link below to see all the reviews on Amazon, and I’m sure you will like what these customers are saying.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read my review and I look forward to helping you out again, and again in the future.