Hello parents and grandparents! Welcome to my Holy Stone HS170G Night Elven Mini RC Quadcopter Drone review; my #3 pick of the "Top Rated Drones Amazon" featured, and qualifies as the best gift for boys if price is king.
If you have never visited my site, then you should know that I have a son; and for all of you parents and grandparents out there who are continuously challenged as I am, we do what we can to accommodate for our sons and grandsons development and enjoyment. You should also know that I never review a product that I would not purchase myself on behalf of my son. I have read the reviews from customers who have used this product so that I may better help you to make the right decision.
This little mini quadcopter is really something, check it out!
Some of the features:
- In the Headless Mode, the drone automatically adjusts its’ orientation to the controller to make it much easier to fly and control; so your son or grandson will not be confused with the direction of the drone when it flies farther away.
- Also, the gyro stabilization system allows the drone to do 3D flips or roles in any direction (front, back, left, right) by simply pressing a button; and quickly recover when doing stunts or fast moves. This mini drone is really taking things to a whole new level with its Altitude Hold Function and more…
The Good: Easy to hold, control and fly
The Bad: No camera.
My Overall Take: This mini quadcopter is really a great quadcopter to get your son or grandson started on because it easy and fun – all in one! The fact that it is relatively inexpensive makes it even better.
- 1 ea. HS170G Quadcopter (blue or red)
- 1 ea. Transmitter (AA batteries not included - 4ea.)
- 1 ea. 3.7V 350mAh Lipo battery
- 4 ea. Additional propeller blades
- 1 ea. USB charging connector
- 1 ea. Screwdriver
- 1 ea. User Manual
- 1 ea. Propellers spanner
Size: 5.2 x 1.6 x 5.2 inches
Weight: 1.3oz (with battery)
Range: about 100-164 feet
Flying Time: about 6-8 minutes
Charging Time: about 60-80 minutes
Gyro: 6 Axis）
Channel: 4 Channel
Motor Model: 720
- The Altitude Hold Function is a nice feature that your son or grandson will appreciate, especially if they are beginners because it will allow them to let go of the throttle, and the drone will stay at its current level (height).
- There are also 3 different speeds and if you are just beginning, you may want to set it at the lower speed to get familiar and comfortable flying the drone.
- The Emergency Stop feature is nice to have if things get out of control and you need to shut down the drone quickly in an emergency.
- The one button engine start/ landing is also a great feature for beginners because the engine/ motors start up easily, throttle up and the drone takes off, press it again and the drone will land smoothly.
- The four colorful LED lights makes it really easy to identify both the front-end and back-end, to make night flying easy and fun as well.
This little mini drone is extremely durable due to its flexible landing gear that allows it to bounce, so it can take hard landings; and when it is in flight, it is extremely responsive to command. Because of this mini drones’ compact size, it is very easy for small hands to hold. The HS170G quadcopter is also easy to control which makes it fun and exciting to fly. Also, because it weighs less than the FAA’s registration requirements, you do not need to register it. There are also some really nice features that are only found on more expensive drones, so the price is hard to beat. Shipped by Amazon, you can expect on-time delivery, or in some instances, early arrival. Finally, when we as parents or grandparents invest in a product, it is comforting to know that the company has your back as well; customer service has proved itself by being responsive, and quoting some customers – “above and beyond!”
Unfortunately, the HS170G quadcopter does not come equipped with a camera. Secondly, the battery must also be removed in order to charge it as well.
Things to know / Tips:
- The transmitter’s joystick can be switched to accommodate either a left-handed (default position) or a right-handed person
- The Auto Land / Auto Take-off feature is actually placed in the throttle stick once the rotors have started.
- Although the range is listed at 165 feet, your son or grandson will probably be able to fly it closer to 200 feet (unofficially).
- Make sure you read and follow the instructions manual carefully to have a more pleasurable and exciting experience.
- Because of its compact size, you will need to fly the drone on a calm non-windy day if outside, even though many enjoy flying it indoors.
- Although this drone is recommended for ages 14+ by the manufacturer, children as young as 6 years old have enjoyed flying this mini drone, but at these ages adult supervision would be recommended.
- This drone is ready to fly right out of the box, the only thing your son or grandson will only have to do is install the battery.
- Just to be on the safe side – fly your new drone indoors for a while just in case it wants to take off into oblivion; this way it will not be able to escape and go too far; preferably in an area that has some open space, maybe a garage?. If you’re unable to fly it indoors, remove the props and check to make sure the quad responds to the remote control (transmitter). Not only will doing this avoid losing a drone, it will also allow your son or grandson to familiarize themselves with it; but please remember to set the speed to level one.
- The Battery life (flying time) of a drone is always an issue and many of the customers wanted to spend more time flying so you may want to invest in additional batteries and a multi-charger to prolong the fun and excitement.
- It is a good practice to allow for a 10 minute cooling down period between flights to ensure longer life for all the parts.
- Always “STOP” the quadcopter immediately if it gets stuck on something, or crashes.
- Always make it a point to check with the local laws as there may be certain restrictions that apply to flying drones.
- If you need help with operating, maintenance, technical support, or even help with problems, please call: (US) 626-465-7134 (PST 4:30pm-2:00am).
To quickly start the quadcopter:
- Power up the drone and controller (transmitter); and pair the drone
- Calibrate the gyros by pushing down to the left on both joysticks
- Push the start button to get the propellers spinning
How to charge the battery:
- Connect the USB charging connector to the battery
- Plug the USB connect into a USB port on your computer, or a 5V, 0.5-1A adapter, or a power blank
- The LED remains red while charging, changing to green when complete.
- Use the original charging connector “only” to charge the 3.7V 350mAh Lithium Battery
- Durable and responsive
- Easy to hold, control and fly
- FAA registration not required
- Good price!
- Arrives on time or sooner
- Great customer service
- No camera
- Must remove battery to charge
My Overall Take:
This mini quadcopter is a great little drone to get your son or grandson started on because it easy and fun – all in one! With features that include Altitude Hold, Emergency Stop, and Auto Land / Auto Take-Off, it makes it a whole lot easier for beginners to get the hang of it and master their skills. The fact that it is relatively inexpensive makes it even better.
But don't just take my word for it, click on the link below to go to Amazon so you can see what customers are saying.Thank you so much for taking the time to read my Holy Stone HS170G Night Elven Mini RC Quadcopter Drone review and I look forward to helping you out again, and again in the future.