Hello parents and grandparents! Welcome to my Holy Stone HS110D FPV RC Drone review; my #4 pick of the "5 Top Rated Drones" featured as great birthday gifts for boys which I'm sure your son or grandson would be happy to receive, to say the least.
If you have never visited my site, then you should know that I have a son; and for all of you parents and grandparents out there who are continuously challenged as I am, we do what we can to accommodate for our sons and grandsons development and enjoyment. You should also know that I never review a product that I would not purchase myself on behalf of my son. I have read the reviews from customers who have used this product so that I may better help you to make the right decision.
First of all, let me say that I was extremely impressed with what customers had to say about this drone. It has a lot of nice features that make it so much easier and fun for a beginner – check this out…
Some of the features:
- The 720p with 120 degree field of view (FOV) camera lets you see everything from a birds-eye view using your smart phone; and also provides a live video feed.
- The Headless Mode will let your son or grandson control the drone and fly it back when it gets out of sight or begins to drift away; allowing for a straight-forward flying experience.
- The Mobile Control (only works with IOS 7.0 or later; or Android 4.4 or later) gives your son or grandson two options to control the drone whereby they can use either the transmitter (controller) or smart phone via its app to operate it. But hold on, there is so much more…
The Good: Easy to setup, use & fly
The Bad: Motor failures
My overall take: This quadcopter offers a nice balance between performance and price centered upon its awesome features which make it easy to control and fun to fly. Finally, it is backed by a company that takes customer service to a whole new level.
Let’s get started and see what comes in the box:
- 1 ea. HS110D Drone
- 1 ea. Transmitter (AA batteries are not included)
- 1 ea. 3.7V 1000mAh Li-po Modular Battery
- 4 ea. Extra Motor Gears / 2 x Propeller Guards / 4 x Extra Propeller Blades / 2 ea. Extra Light Covers /2 x Extra Landing Feet / 18 x Screws
- 1 ea. Phone Holder
- 1 ea. USB Charging Cable
- 1 ea. Screwdriver
- 1 ea. Quick Start
- 1 ea. Manual
Size: 12.6 x 12.6 x 4.7 inches
Weight: 5.3 oz.
Transmitter Operation Range: about 328 feet
App Required Operating Systems: IOS 7.0 or later/Android 4.4 or later
Video Transmission Range: about 196 feet
Playing Time: 10 mins
Flying Time: about 12-15 minutes
Charging Time: about 2 hours
Channel: 4 Channel Video
Recording Modes: 120° FOV 720P
Playing Time: 10 mins
- Using your smart phone - the Gravity Sensor Mode allows the pilot to control the drone by moving the phone accordingly. To make things even better, the Virtual Reality Mode works great with VR glasses.
- The Altitude Hold is really nice, but especially if you are a beginner because it will allow your son or grandson to take their hands off the controller (hands-free) and hover, or practice they’re maneuvering skills without having to worry about controlling the altitude level.
- There are also four speeds that your son or grandson will be able to select from which makes this a great drone for beginners because you can start slow and work your way up as you become more comfortable and experienced.
- FPV (first person view) is great because even as the drone gets further away, your son or grandson will always know which way is forward.
- One Button Engine Start/ Landing; one-touch landing button is great for beginners because it will allow your son or grandson to concentrate on staying above the landing zone while descending towards it freely.
- The LED Lighting allows for a very nice night flying (navigation lights); it also comes equipped with a controller indicator light for night flying and battery power alert as well.
- Emergency Stop shuts everything down, just in case?
- The modular 3.7V 1000mAh high-capacity battery allows for longer flying time.
Being easy to setup, use and fly makes for a wonderful flying experience. Comes equipped with many great features to enhance your flying fun. Its solid and rugged design can withstand crashes. Amazon ships this drone, so you can expect it to arrive on time or sooner than expected. Fantastic customer service & support means piece of mind. Did I mention that FAA registration is not required? Finally, the price is hard to beat.
Some customers did experience motor failures. Also, the phone holder on the controller is a bit challenged for holding larger smart phones and could be sturdier.
Things to know / Tips:
- Take the time to read the instruction manual so your sons’ or grandsons’ flying experience is everything good.
- As with any drone, Motors tend to heat up during operation with high-speed spinning, so please allow them to cool down for about 10 minutes between flights
- It is very important the drone is on a smooth level surface while pairing to it, or the gyro might not balance properly; causing your son or grandson to lose control which would not be good!
- If the drone tends to drift to one side or the other, you will need to recalibrate. KEEP IN Mind – recalibration should be done after pairing.
- If the drones led lights begin to flash, get the drone to return to you within 40 seconds.
- Always make it a point to check with the local laws as there may be certain restrictions that apply to flying drones.
- Since the drone cannot do flips when the battery is low, that is a good way to determine how much battery life is left.
- When flying drones in winds, even slight winds can affect flight, which could be more challenging for inexperienced younger operators.
- The Battery life (flying time) of a drone is always an issue and many of the customers wanted to spend more time flying so you may want to invest in a multi-charger and/ or additional batteries to prolong the fun and excitement. Just remember to allow for the cooling down period between flights.
- To charge the drone: connect the drone to an adapter (5V, 0.5-1A) or PC USB port; or you can order a charger to charge the battery directly.
- Recommended for ages 14+ from the manufacturer, but boys as young as 8 years old have enjoyed this drone; although parental supervision probably wouldn’t be a bad idea. Basically designed as an outdoor drone, some fly it indoors, but recommend doing this only if they are experienced.
- For Your safety - PLEASE USE THE ORIGINAL CHARGING CABLE.
- If you need help with operating, maintenance, technical support, or even help with problems, please call: (US) 626-465-7134 (PST 4:30pm-2:00am).
- Easy to setup, use & fly
- Great features
- Solid design
- Arrives on time or sooner
- Fantastic customer service & support
- FAA registration not required
- Good Price
- Motors failing
- Phone holder
My Overall Take:
This quadcopter offers a nice balance between performance and price centered upon its awesome features which make it easy to control and fun to fly, such as transmitter or smart phone control, Altitude Hold, 120 degree FOV 720p camera, and much more... Finally, it is backed by a company that takes pride in its brand, and demonstrates it through their customer service.
Click on the link below to look at the all the wonderful and complimentary reviews on Amazon so you can see what customers are saying; you will be overly impressed as well.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read my Holy Stone HS110D FPV RC Drone review and I look forward to helping you out again and again in the future.